Lab Assistant Job Description
Performs phlebotomy and specimen collection. Uses LIS and HIS to conduct functions related to phlebotomy, patient registration, order entry, result look-up and report generation. Processes specimens for diagnostic testing and referral testing. Sorts specimen drop-offs according to insurance. Ensures accurate registration of specimens as needed. Performs various clerical tasks.
- Obtains blood specimens by venipuncture with syringe, vacutainer or capillary puncture. Monitors the workflow to insure specimens are drawn in a timely manner. Audits, evaluates, interprets, labels, processes and registers all specimens and orders for testing. Assists technical staff by preparing specimens and/or loading analyzers. In the outpatient setting, also collects nasal smears, glucose tolerances, and urines on all age groups, and may perform EKG, assist with EMG and collect nasopharyngeal and throat swab specimens.
- Performs various customer service and clerical and computer duties, such as answering and directing phone calls, relaying test results, taking messages, ordering tests, delivering results, and troubleshooting specimen problems including missing orders and specimens. Monitors LIS reports and logs for compliance to assure pre-analytical processes are of highest quality, and generates computer specimen labels, collection lists, pending reports, and overdue tests lists.
- Sets up collecting tray. Responsible for maintaining general appearance of working area. Notifies appropriate chain of command of inventory shortages, orders supply as necessary, and restocks supplies.
- Processes patient specimens for testing.
- Prepares specimens for transports to facilities, receives specimens from other facilities and delivers specimens to various testing departments. Performs courier functions as assigned. (See Driver's License requirement, where applicable.)
- Required Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Preferred: 2 Year / Associates Degree - Specialty/Major: Preferred in Toledo Mercy College only
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATIONS (MUST NOT BE NON-EXPIRED/ACTIVE UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED)
- Required: In the Springfield, OH region, must have valid Ohio Driver's license and able to pass Mercy Health driver's license check.
- Preferred: Phlebotomy Certificate
- Minimum Years and Type of Experience:Documented phlebotomy training or related experience.
- Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: Computer keyboard and basic computer experience. Basic knowledge of medical and laboratory terminology. Analytical and problem-solving skills to organize work and resolve daily problems.
- Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:One year of lab assistant or phlebotomist experience.
Hours: Full-Time, 40 Hours/Weekly
Schedule: 7:00am - 6:00pm, Mon-Fri. This position is located in Springfield, OH.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy to abide by all Federal and State laws, as well as, the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a), prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.