The mission of Mercy Health is to extend the healing ministry of Jesus by improving the health of our communities with emphasis on people who are poor and under-served.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Health Care Associate works with his/her team partner(s), the Registered Nurse and the Hospitality Associate, to provide direct patient care. As a member of the Patient Care Team, the Associate is cross-trained to perform a wide range of essential patient services.
The Associate performs a variety of basic population-specific duties to assist in the care of the patients under the direction of a Registered Nurse (RN). All clinical care will be done under the direction of the RN who has determined appropriate tasks for delegation. The Health Care Associate makes observations as directed by the RN and reports deviations to the RN.
Qualifications - Minimum
High School Diploma/GED
State-tested Nurse Assistant or completion of HCA training related to acute care setting.
Nursing Student who has completed first semester of acute care hospital-based clinical experience.
Experience in providing direct patient care.
Previous experience working in specialty area.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Follows detailed written and oral instructions.
Completes specific, routine tasks.
Requires basic reading, writing and simple arithmetic skills as demonstrated through pre-hire assessment.
May operate basic equipment/machinery.
Basic Computer Skills required.
PROBLEM SOLVING / DECISION MAKING:
Work is routine.
Makes decisions based on detailed procedures; technical aids generally available.
Has clear-cut alternatives available and usually follows a specified course of action.
SCOPE OF IMPACT / ACCOUNTABILITY:
Impact is generally focused on immediate work area. May also affect closely related activities in other work units or teams on a temporary basis.
Influence is indirect and supportive in nature.
Accountability is restricted.
Activities are usually assigned by others.
Interactions are generally brief and informal.
Requires common courtesy.
PRINCIPAL JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Performs general patient care including, but not limited to: bathing, mouth care, changing linens, dressing patient, back rubs, elimination, hygiene and other needs as expressed.
2. Observes patient’s responses and reports any adverse reaction or other pertinent information to Registered Nurse.
3. Demonstrates competency in providing population specific care determined by patient populations served.
4. Obtains and records vital signs (Blood Pressure, Temperature, Pulse, and Respirations), height and weight.
5. Lifts, ambulates and transports patient. Seeks assistance as needed.
6. Positions patient and performs range of motion.
7. Anticipates patient’s needs and responds in a timely manner to patient and other caregiver requests.
8. Provides friendly assistance to patient’s family members and visitors.
9. Collects specimens (i.e., urine, stool, sputum) and ensures timely transport of specimens to the lab.
10. Reapplies oxygen therapy.
11. Performs electrocardiogram (ECG).
12. Performs simple skin / wound care as directed by the RN.
13. Performs non-medicated enemas.
14. Observes standard precautions, hand-washing policy, Infection Control policies for Isolation, and
15. Demonstrates the use of A.I.D.E.T. during patient / family interactions.
16. Demonstrates commitment to HMHP policies to achieve National Patient Safety Goals.
17. Performs on-line documentation as required by care center.
18. Demonstrates knowledge in the use of Downtime and Miscellaneous Forms during Computer Service Interruption events.
19. Accurately charts patient information following the guidelines for charting by standards.
20. Delivers menus. Prepares patient for meals, distributes food trays, feeds patient and removes trays. Distributes drinking water.
21. Answers phones courteously, according to Standards of Performance, and quickly addresses the caller’s needs.
22. Conducts Hourly Rounding as assigned by the Registered Nurse.
23. Demonstrates knowledge of HMHP Emergency Procedures / Codes.
24. Performs patient care activities utilizing patient safety policies and requirements.
25. Works overtime as needed.
26. Assists in orientation of new personnel.
Unit Specific Tasks Addendums:
Performs venipunctures for blood collection, with the exception of Type and Screen / Cross Match and Blood Cultures.
JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES – Other:
1. Performs other duties as assigned.
2. Acts as a liaison and support person for family members.
3. Assists with patient education and discharge planning under supervision of RN.
4. Inventories unit and determines supply needs. Conveys needs to appropriate personnel.
5. Assists in daily cleaning of patient rooms and care center. Helps prepare room(s) for incoming patients.
6. Assesses maintenance needs.
a. Initiates maintenance requisition to repair equipment, furniture and building fixtures.
b. Performs simple maintenance (light bulbs, batteries).
c. Restocks personal protective equipment cabinet
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description
Hours per pay period: 48
Every other weekend and every other holiday.
Shift and Job Schedule
Job Shift: All, Job Schedule: Part-Time
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy to abide by all Federal and State laws, as well as, the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a), prohibiting discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibiting discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.